Class Title: "Journaling a Path Through the Chakras: A Unique Approach to Journaling for Self-Discovery and Personal Growth"
Instructor: Amber Starfire
enroll in this class
In this eight-week course, we approach self-discovery and personal growth by journaling a path through the seven chakras. Through the act of journaling we wend our way through the metaphorical chakras of our lives, beginning with the root chakra (related to instinct, security, survival, and human potential) and ending with the crown chakra (related to consciousness and connection with the divine), revealing the various ways we experience our lives. Journaling to reflect on these different aspects of our inner selves, and how we express or experience them, can be both enlightening and healing. Note: While using the classic Hindu chakras as a guideline, the course does not require or endorse any particular religious belief.
Lessons and prompts are provided by the teacher via our Yahoo Groups site. You will be asked to read information from various sources, to practice daily journal writing and daily pre-writing meditation/visualization techniques. You are encouraged to post your written work (posting is always voluntary) on our Yahoo Groups, allowing other students to comment. You will also email your writing to the teacher for personal comments. A one-hour teleconference call (students pay phone charges) will wrap up the course. Every participant must commit to full confidentiality when reading the writing of other students, in order to create a safe emotional space in which to share our writing. The purpose of feedback will be to encourage and deepen understanding and insight. Students will receive a free copy ($29.95 value) of the teacher's Starfire Creativity Journal software.
- Unit 1: Overview of class format, importance of confidentiality; overview of chakras and their significances; Introduction to pre-writing meditation & visualization techniques. Root Chakra--In Depth; Journaling assignment/prompts.
- Unit 2: Responses to writing assignment; Sacral & Solar Plexus Chakras --In Depth; Journaling assignment/prompts.
- Unit 3: Responses to writing assignment; Heart & Throat Chakras --In Depth; Journaling assignment/prompts.
- Unit 4: Review of responses to writing assignment; "Third Eye" Chakra--In Depth; Journaling assignment/prompts.
- Unit 5: Review of responses to writing assignment; Crown Chakra--In Depth, Putting it All Together; Journaling assignment/prompts.
- Unit 6: Teleconference; Review of responses to writing assignment; Assessing insights, growth, purpose; Where to go from here.
Student Skills, Equipment required
Basic knowledge of Internet: web surfing, how to post and comment, email, including how to attach and download documents, word processing, and ability to copy/paste. Ideally, students commit to spending 1/2 hour per day, or 3-5 hours per week reading and writing, plus at least one hour per week reading and commenting on the work of others class participants.
Tuition/Fees for this course
SCN members: $0. Non-SCN members: $.
Amber Lea Starfire is the publisher and editor of The Writer's Eye Magazine, a freelance editor, writer, and photographer. She earned her M.A. from Stanford University in Education (the design and development of Educational Programs). She has developed a variety of courses for schools and businesses, from one-day to 12-week courses in business and/or system processes, Effective Business Writing, and Journaling for Self-Discovery. She has taught at Foothill Community College in Los Altos California, and has developed coursework and training programs for a variety of business clients.
Praise for Amber's Classes
- Heretofore I knew little about the chakras. I came out of this course feeling quite knowledgeable and experienced and with greater insights. I feel that each of the course members are my new friends. Amber Starfire's guidance was excellent and her responses to my/our journaling and conversation was insightful, explanatory and thoughtful. I felt that we were in really good hands. Amber is full of wisdom and understanding, as are the other members of the group. We were able to counsel each other and to share our knowledge about related subjects as time went on, and I learned much from other course members. I highly recommend this course. —PJ P., Austin TX