Class Title: The Wheel of Archetypal Selves: From Lovers to Strength (The Major Arcana from VI to XI)
Instructor: Tania Pryputniewicz
Class Term: May 13-June 24, 2019
We are not accepting any more enrollments for Tania's class; the class has started.
Using the Major Arcana as a focal point, we make connections to the archetypes and our past and current experiences. In turn, we mine these writings and others inspired by the imagery of the Tarot to help revise existing writing projects or inspire new ones.
We will focus, one card per week, on the second set of six cards that make up the Major Arcana progression (from The Lovers to Justice), connecting our own past experiences to aspects of each archetype as well as answering weekly questions based on definitions assigned the cards by Tarot scholars. We will also read excerpts of published work based on the Tarot. Students will keep a Tarot Journal for the duration of the course, noting any experiential synchronicities occurring during the week in relation to the cards under study.
At the end of this class students will have a working knowledge of the second set of six Major Arcana cards and their corresponding Minor Mentor cards. This class is open to all level of writer; no prior experience needed in working with the Tarot. Images from a variety of Tarot decks will be provided weekly (including Roots of Asia, Poet Tarot, Rider-Waite, Thoth, Motherpeace, Daughters of the Moon, Voyager, and more).
All course communication will take place on the Yahoo Group platform.
- Unit 1: Introduction to the Major Arcana. Setting Course Intention. VI The Lovers and gifts, The Sixes. Which love relationship (from any juncture in time) holds the greatest charge for you (original triad of mother, father, child or sibling bond, or lover bond or other)? Seems the most belaboured? The most ideal? Which depiction of love in literature are you drawn to or would you like to rewrite? What and whom do you love? Which figure/set of figures do you most strongly identify with (Cupid, royal couple, child, aniaml, reptile, etc.) and why?
- Unit 2: VII The Chariot and gifts, The Sevens. Which life lessons have you or would you love to metabolize, thus leaving you poised for change, for motion, and for entering the next phase of engaging in the world? Were you to don armour or other protective raimant, what would that armour be made of and why? Which changes are you gathering fortitude to carry out? How are you both rooted and fluid simultanously? Where is the charioteer in this card headed? What is the source of his/her confidence?
- Unit 3: VIII Justice and gifts, The Eights. Justice: Which projects are you beginning and ending? What are you weighing in the scales? Where are you balancing heart knowledge with mental discrimination to make choices and winnow commitments? Which character in literature reminds you of The Justice card?
- Unit 4: IX The Hermit and gifts, The Nines. The Hermit: Scripting your life up until now, consider when and where you played The Hermit or were the recipient of light from the lantern shed by a Hermit in your orbit. Write out the dialogue. What color is your cloak? What did you learn in isolation, whether tangible or metaphorical isolation? Where did the light from your lantern fall?
- Unit 5: X The Wheel of Fortune and gifts, The Tens. The Wheel of Fortune: Which parts of your life are coming up to face the sun? Which are turning under, composting, under moonlight? Where might risks be taken to inspire greater change and afford new opportunities? Which specific opportunities (name them) make up the spokes of the Wheel of your particular Fortune?
- Unit 6: XI Strength. How do you combine your spiritual courage and your animal instincts towards creative endeavors? Towards life itself? Where in your life do walk beside or ride the lion? What have you tamed or do you need to tame? What story could you write through the lens of a lady and her lionness? Conclusions, hindsight, closing reveries.
Student Skills, Equipment, and Time Required
All writing levels welcome. No prior knowledge of the Tarot necessary. Must be able to use internet, email, and navigate a Yahoo group.
Time Commitment: 2 hours a week (though students may put in more hours as they wish).
Tuition/Fees for this course
SCN members: $192. Non-SCN members: $240.
A graduate of the Iowa Writers' Workshop, Tania Pryputniewicz is the Managing Poetry Editor of The Fertile Source. Her debut poetry collection, November Butterfly is forthcoming from Saddle Road Press, 2014. Recent poems appeared on-line at Chaparral, NonBinary Review, Poetry Flash and Soundings East. Co-founding blogger for Mother, Writer, Mentor, Pryputniewicz teaches writing, blogging and tarot workshops for MWM, A Room of Her Own Foundation, Story Circle Network, and San Diego Writers, Ink. She lives in San Diego with her husband, three children, one blue-eyed Siberian Husky and two tubby housecats. She blogs at Feral Mom, Feral Writer and on her website.
Praise for Tania's Classes
- Tania Pryputniewicz is an exceptionally good teacher. Her knowledge of the subject is amazing, her assignments are interesting and imaginative and fun, she connects with each student personally and responds with genuinely helpful and creative suggestions. She goes far beyond the call of duty in responding to student writing in detail and clearly caring about each student. She is a truly outstanding instructor! I hope to take the earlier classes in this series which I missed, and any other classes Tania teaches. —Ruth T., Hilo HI
- Tania Pryputniewicz is an excellent instructor, well-read and well-versed in both Tarot and poetry. Her assignments were thoughtful and she created a supportive learning environment. —Tina M., Irvine CA
- Tania Pryputniewicz is an excellent teacher and her suggestions are both indepth and practical. —Lynn W., Irving TX
- Tania Pryputniewicz was a very gracious host and made everyone feel welcome where they were at. Her comments were insightful and suggested prompts helped me discover ways to deepen my writing. —Carrie N., Hays KS
- As with other classes I have taken with Tania Pryputniewicz, I enjoyed this one immensely. Her material is well-thought out and engaging. She encourages interaction between the class participants by making everyone feel safe and capable of doing the work. She also provides interesting and thought-provoking feedback that always shows me a new way of looking at my own work. —Lisa R., San Mateo CA
- Tania Pryputniewicz always creates wonderful classes... I love Tania's comments. They are always so rich! I love Tania's tarot classes. I love the materials/readings she sends us and that we can write about something different than the prompts if we need to. —Mary C., Pine CO
- Tania Pryputniewicz's feedback was incredible, insightful and thoughtful. She suggested further exercises that were creative, helpful and incorporated tarot. This was a great class. The mix of tarot with journal writing helped me to open up to new ideas for both. I'm looking forward to the next class. —Lynn W., Irving TX
- I've taken all of Tania Pryputniewicz's Tarot classes (and two of her blogging classes) and her course materials are always stimulating and inspiring. I've learned to think about the Tarot in a different way thanks to Tania's writing exercises. Tania always makes very insightful and helpful comments. It's a great dialogue—we've learned together. I've learned so much about the Tarot, and about myself through this class. I think some people might be put off by the idea of working with the Tarot, but Tania connects the cards to life and we've had such great conversations about life and love and more as we've worked through the major arcana. —Mary C., Pine CO
- Tania Pryputniewicz's knowledge of the tarot and writing and combining the two is incredible. The exercises she sends and the feedback are always right on target and she provides additional exercises for certain topics (as they arise). I still re-read some of her feedback for inspiration. —Lynn W., Irving TX
- I loved the materials Tania Pryputniewicz presented and the responses she gave to what I managed to write...I LOVED the materials and the instructor. I will come back to them for some time and they will continue to inspire and inform my writing. —Marsha P., Bala Cynwyd PA
- I really enjoyed the material we covered and Tania Pryputniewicz's lessons led me to think about the Tarot in a different way than I had been. I love Tania's classes. I've taken her blogging classes and her Tarot classes too. She always presents such great learning materials and great questions to help us move beyond our present thinking. And she is so wonderful in her responses to our work. —Mary C., Pine CO
- Tania Pryputniewicz taught a great class and I learned a lot, including how very time consuming having a blog could be :) —Lynn W., Irving TX
- This course is a fantastic introduction to blogging. I cannot recommend it and the woman who presented it enough. Tania Pryputniewicz was an extraordinary facilitator—the course didn't go on long enough! —Gillian B., Sydney Australia
- It was a great course. Tania Pryputniewicz is creative, supportive, imaginative, fun, and deep. A wonderful instructor. —Molly H., Miami FL
- I loved the topics we covered and the assignments were challenging. I love Tania Pryputniewicz's classes. I took the two blogging classes. I will take other courses from Tania when she offers them. —Mary C., Pine CO
- Tania Pryputniewicz is a great teacher. Her exercises are highly generative and her feedback is wise and thoughtful. This is the second online class I've taken with her. I'll recommend her classes to my writer friends. —Barbara Y., Berkeley CA
- Tania Pryputniewicz gave many resources and inspirations for the three people who were in the course, all pursuing very different types of blogs. There was something for everyone. But most helpful of all was Tania's enthusiastic and helpful feedback, individualized for each of us. I am so glad to have this material in my blogging files. —Mary Ann P., Sugar Land TX
- I knew little about the art of blogging when I began this course. Now, I am confident in my ability to create my own blog. Tania Pryputniewicz's Transformative Blogging course exceeded my expectations by teaching me more than the basics of blogging. It took me on a journey, to a deeper level, revealing inner questions and desires in how I might best share my voice. —Debi B., Wimberley TX
- Materials were well organized and informative; Tania Pryputniewicz responded quickly to all of my questions and postings. Great introduction to blogging. —Fran S., South Charleston WV
- Tania Pryputniewicz's Transformative Blogging is a journey worth taking. It is a well laid out map to the world of blogging, teaching the essential components of the act of blogging, and offering the opportunity to dig deep into ones soul purpose in his endeavor. I recommend it highly. —Debi B., Wimberley TX
- Hadn't had a great prior experience with an online course I took. Tania Pryputniewicz was extremely well organized and the course was a wonderful surprise. It definitely exceeded ALL my expectations. I feel as though I really learning a great deal in a very logical way that also was very supportive. Tania's course is a must-take for anyone who either is considering creating a blog but is fantastically beneficial to those who already have one. The lessons are hierarchical, focused, and really helped me realize my mission in even just starting a blog. I'd highly recommend this class and even thought about taking it again! —Marlene S., Chicago IL
- It was a terrific course and got my blog going. I don't think I would have had the wherewithal to get started without Tania Pryputniewicz's class. —Peggy C., Misoula MT
- I loved Tania Pryputniewicz's class!!!!!!!!!!!! —Juliana L., Canyon TX
- I learned so much from Tania Pryputniewicz and the other women in the class. Everyone was so supportive and thoughtful in their feedback. I feel like my blogging career got a real boost from taking this class. I enjoyed it immensely. Tania's warm and caring teaching helped all of us feel confident in our abilities. Her feedback was supportive yet always included questions to help us find our way to improve our writing. —Lisa R., San Carlos CA
- This class has been a great experience! I've learned a lot and enjoyed getting to know everyone. It was wonderful to read my classmates' work, get feedback from them, and share resources. I got a lot of great ideas for my blog and am motivated to launch it soon. Tania Pryputniewicz is a great teacher! She creates a warm and stimulating environment for learning and offers thoughtful, detailed feedback on participants' work. Her assignments are top-notch. This is the first online class I've ever taken, and it's been 100% positive! I'll study with Tania again and will recommend her classes to my friends. —Barbara Y., Berkeley CA