Class Title: Exploring the Minor Mentors of Tarot: A Tour Through the Suits
Instructor: Tania Pryputniewicz
Class Term: March 19-April 16, 2018
enroll in this class
In Tarot: A New Handbook for the Apprentice, Eileen Connolly refers to the minor arcana of the tarot deck as Minor Mentors. Approaching the tarot from a relaxed, inspirational point of view, we will explore what the images of the tarot have to teach us about ourselves and our relationship to our surroundings by writing our way through the elements.
In this six-week class, we will combine the inspiration of the tarot with a daily writing practice. We will spend one week on each the four suits: Pentacles (earth), Swords (air), Wands (fire), and Cups (water), drawing on the teachings of a variety of published tarot scholars including Angeles Arrien, Rachel Polack, Mary K. Greer, Eileen Connolly, Vicki Noble, Eden Gray and others to ground our understanding of the four suits. Each week we will also look at excerpts from published writings inspired by the tarot including Judy Grahn's Queen of Wands, Italo Calvino's The Castle of Crossed Destinies, Charles Williams' The Greater Trump as well as more recent published tarot poetry examples. Students will use tarot cards just as one might use random first lines out of a book of poems to jumpstart free-writing. Follow-up exercises will help us reflect on the intersection of each card with the particulars of one's life during that card's corresponding week. In addition to sharing weekly free-writes and exercises, students will be encouraged to work towards one or more polished pieces of writing in the genres of their choice (poetry, flash fiction, essay, memoir, monologue, etc.) to share with us by week six.
At the end of this class, students will be able to use a working knowledge of the four suits of the tarot to inspire their writing practice. This class is open to all level of writer; no experience needed in working with the tarot. Images from a variety of tarot decks will be provided weekly (including Rider-Waite, Thoth, Motherpeace, Daughters of the Moon, Voyager, and more).
All course communication will take place on the Yahoo Group platform.
- Unit 1: Introduction to the Tarot. Seed questions and setting of course intention: What is the tarot? What is divination? What does my writing practice provide for me right now? What are my hopes, fears, and goals for this 6 weeks of tarot image inquiry?
- Unit 2: Earth. Introduction to the suit of Pentacles. Seed questions: What is your notion of home and hearth? How does wealth manifest in your life? What do you wish to harvest in your garden?
- Unit 3: Air. Introduction to the suit of Swords. Seed questions: Where does your mind thrive? Which memories do you carry? Where do you struggle internally? Externally? Where do you point the arrow of your thoughts?
- Unit 4: Fire. Introduction to the suit of Wands. Seed questions: What inspires you to take action? Where in your life are you lit up? What engages your will? Which fields need to be burned clean in order to promote regeneration?
- Unit 5: Water. Introduction to the suit of Cups. Seed questions: Which emotions do you come by the most easily? The least? What inspires the heart? Where in your life do you offer the cup of love?
- Unit 6: Revisiting Week 1 Assumptions. Revisions of final pieces of shaped writing to share with the group. Generation of further inquiries list to take with us past course's end.
Student Skills, Equipment, and Time Required
Students should have a working understanding of how to use email, the Internet, and a Yahoo group platform.
Time Commitment: 2 hours a week for reading and completion of assigned exercises.
Tuition/Fees for this course
SCN members: $192. Non-SCN members: $240.
Tania Pryputniewicz has worked with the tarot for over twenty years. Her tarot teachers include Reverend Jacqueline of the Temple of Living Prayer and Astrologers Quan Tracey Cherry and Bonnie Orgren. While pursuing her MFA at the Iowa Writers' Workshop, Tania read cards for the Vortex Crystal and Gem Store, The Women's Center, and The Women's Music Festival in Iowa City. She also taught Beginning Tarot during that time and worked one on one with students of the tarot, publishing Tarot as Spiritual Midwifery (an article celebrating the work of Angeles Arrien, Icon). Tania is the Managing Poetry Editor of The Fertile Source. New poems are forthcoming in Chaparral and Poetry Flash. Her poetry collection, November Butterfly will be published by Saddle Road Press in 2014. She is newly relocated to Coronado Island with her husband, three children, one Siberian Husky and two tubby housecats. Visit her website and her personal blog, Feral Mom, Feral Writer.
Praise for Tania's Classes
- Tania Pryputniewicz is an exceptionally good teacher. Her knowledge of the subject is amazing, her assignments are interesting and imaginative and fun, she connects with each student personally and responds with genuinely helpful and creative suggestions. She goes far beyond the call of duty in responding to student writing in detail and clearly caring about each student. She is a truly outstanding instructor! I hope to take the earlier classes in this series which I missed, and any other classes Tania teaches. —Ruth T., Hilo HI
- Tania Pryputniewicz is an excellent instructor, well-read and well-versed in both Tarot and poetry. Her assignments were thoughtful and she created a supportive learning environment. —Tina M., Irvine CA
- Tania Pryputniewicz is an excellent teacher and her suggestions are both indepth and practical. —Lynn W., Irving TX
- Tania Pryputniewicz was a very gracious host and made everyone feel welcome where they were at. Her comments were insightful and suggested prompts helped me discover ways to deepen my writing. —Carrie N., Hays KS
- As with other classes I have taken with Tania Pryputniewicz, I enjoyed this one immensely. Her material is well-thought out and engaging. She encourages interaction between the class participants by making everyone feel safe and capable of doing the work. She also provides interesting and thought-provoking feedback that always shows me a new way of looking at my own work. —Lisa R., San Mateo CA
- Tania Pryputniewicz always creates wonderful classes... I love Tania's comments. They are always so rich! I love Tania's tarot classes. I love the materials/readings she sends us and that we can write about something different than the prompts if we need to. —Mary C., Pine CO
- Tania Pryputniewicz's feedback was incredible, insightful and thoughtful. She suggested further exercises that were creative, helpful and incorporated tarot. This was a great class. The mix of tarot with journal writing helped me to open up to new ideas for both. I'm looking forward to the next class. —Lynn W., Irving TX
- I've taken all of Tania Pryputniewicz's Tarot classes (and two of her blogging classes) and her course materials are always stimulating and inspiring. I've learned to think about the Tarot in a different way thanks to Tania's writing exercises. Tania always makes very insightful and helpful comments. It's a great dialogue—we've learned together. I've learned so much about the Tarot, and about myself through this class. I think some people might be put off by the idea of working with the Tarot, but Tania connects the cards to life and we've had such great conversations about life and love and more as we've worked through the major arcana. —Mary C., Pine CO
- Tania Pryputniewicz's knowledge of the tarot and writing and combining the two is incredible. The exercises she sends and the feedback are always right on target and she provides additional exercises for certain topics (as they arise). I still re-read some of her feedback for inspiration. —Lynn W., Irving TX
- I loved the materials Tania Pryputniewicz presented and the responses she gave to what I managed to write...I LOVED the materials and the instructor. I will come back to them for some time and they will continue to inspire and inform my writing. —Marsha P., Bala Cynwyd PA
- I really enjoyed the material we covered and Tania Pryputniewicz's lessons led me to think about the Tarot in a different way than I had been. I love Tania's classes. I've taken her blogging classes and her Tarot classes too. She always presents such great learning materials and great questions to help us move beyond our present thinking. And she is so wonderful in her responses to our work. —Mary C., Pine CO
- Tania Pryputniewicz taught a great class and I learned a lot, including how very time consuming having a blog could be :) —Lynn W., Irving TX
- This course is a fantastic introduction to blogging. I cannot recommend it and the woman who presented it enough. Tania Pryputniewicz was an extraordinary facilitator—the course didn't go on long enough! —Gillian B., Sydney Australia
- It was a great course. Tania Pryputniewicz is creative, supportive, imaginative, fun, and deep. A wonderful instructor. —Molly H., Miami FL
- I loved the topics we covered and the assignments were challenging. I love Tania Pryputniewicz's classes. I took the two blogging classes. I will take other courses from Tania when she offers them. —Mary C., Pine CO
- Tania Pryputniewicz is a great teacher. Her exercises are highly generative and her feedback is wise and thoughtful. This is the second online class I've taken with her. I'll recommend her classes to my writer friends. —Barbara Y., Berkeley CA
- Tania Pryputniewicz gave many resources and inspirations for the three people who were in the course, all pursuing very different types of blogs. There was something for everyone. But most helpful of all was Tania's enthusiastic and helpful feedback, individualized for each of us. I am so glad to have this material in my blogging files. —Mary Ann P., Sugar Land TX
- I knew little about the art of blogging when I began this course. Now, I am confident in my ability to create my own blog. Tania Pryputniewicz's Transformative Blogging course exceeded my expectations by teaching me more than the basics of blogging. It took me on a journey, to a deeper level, revealing inner questions and desires in how I might best share my voice. —Debi B., Wimberley TX
- Materials were well organized and informative; Tania Pryputniewicz responded quickly to all of my questions and postings. Great introduction to blogging. —Fran S., South Charleston WV
- Tania Pryputniewicz's Transformative Blogging is a journey worth taking. It is a well laid out map to the world of blogging, teaching the essential components of the act of blogging, and offering the opportunity to dig deep into ones soul purpose in his endeavor. I recommend it highly. —Debi B., Wimberley TX
- Hadn't had a great prior experience with an online course I took. Tania Pryputniewicz was extremely well organized and the course was a wonderful surprise. It definitely exceeded ALL my expectations. I feel as though I really learning a great deal in a very logical way that also was very supportive. Tania's course is a must-take for anyone who either is considering creating a blog but is fantastically beneficial to those who already have one. The lessons are hierarchical, focused, and really helped me realize my mission in even just starting a blog. I'd highly recommend this class and even thought about taking it again! —Marlene S., Chicago IL
- It was a terrific course and got my blog going. I don't think I would have had the wherewithal to get started without Tania Pryputniewicz's class. —Peggy C., Misoula MT
- I loved Tania Pryputniewicz's class!!!!!!!!!!!! —Juliana L., Canyon TX
- I learned so much from Tania Pryputniewicz and the other women in the class. Everyone was so supportive and thoughtful in their feedback. I feel like my blogging career got a real boost from taking this class. I enjoyed it immensely. Tania's warm and caring teaching helped all of us feel confident in our abilities. Her feedback was supportive yet always included questions to help us find our way to improve our writing. —Lisa R., San Carlos CA
- This class has been a great experience! I've learned a lot and enjoyed getting to know everyone. It was wonderful to read my classmates' work, get feedback from them, and share resources. I got a lot of great ideas for my blog and am motivated to launch it soon. Tania Pryputniewicz is a great teacher! She creates a warm and stimulating environment for learning and offers thoughtful, detailed feedback on participants' work. Her assignments are top-notch. This is the first online class I've ever taken, and it's been 100% positive! I'll study with Tania again and will recommend her classes to my friends. —Barbara Y., Berkeley CA