Class Title: Beginning Blogging
Instructor: Tania Pryputniewicz
Class Term: September 30-October 28, 2019
We are not accepting any more enrollments for Tania's class; the class has started.
Two out of five of your writing friends have a blog. Why? What's the buzz? This gentle and supportive course is designed to walk you through the steps you'll need to take in order to launch a blog or recalibrate an existing blog.
If you have been curious about blogging but would like a little more grounding before you begin, join us to explore the ins and outs of the blogosphere. We brainstorm together, discuss image use, and create content. Coursework includes the keeping of a journal around blog related inquiries and the completion of a number of inventories designed to help you develop your blogging focus without the pressure of posting on-line yet. We will also spend time scoping out other blogs to get a feel for the pulse of the blogosphere.
At the end of this class, students will: Come away from the course with an understanding of the blog genre and a basic understanding of the opportunities the blogosphere offers writers. Students will complete the course with a working notebook full of journal entries and draft blog posts meant to be mined at a later date for use on a future blog.
All exercise documents will be posted at the course Yahoo Group at the beginning of each week; instructor and student feedback will be posted as replies to student postings. The option for private feedback from the instructor via email remains open for the duration of the course though students are encouraged to use the group format to better brainstorm ideas and share information.
- Unit 1: Introductions: Blog Ruminations Worksheet and inventory of blogging goals. Blog Brainstorm and Subtitle Play. We will begin our Blog Seeds and Synchronicity Notebook.
- Unit 2: History of blogging: we will read and discuss a number of articles about the history of blogging. Mapping the Heart of the Blog. Post Variations. Blog launch posts.
- Unit 3: Post and Image Pairings: Image Sources and Copyright Considerations. Who's Who in the Blogosphere: Students will surf the blogosphere for examples of existing blogs across a variety of blog genres for image/post pairings. Mapping the Mask of the Blog.
- Unit 4: Public/Private Line. Guest posts. Who's Who when it comes to Blog Networks: Students will visit sites devoted to hosting groups of bloggers around common topics or goals.
- Unit 5: Blog hosting: We will consider the various free platforms available to bloggers starting out (such as Blogger and WordPress, etc.). Sample About Me. Blog Launch Checklist.
- Unit 6: Nurturing Blog Process: conclusions and ways to extend blogging practices past our class time. Potential blog posts: Students will review their blog notebooks for entries they'd like to revise as finished blog posts.
Student Skills, Equipment, and Time Required
All writing levels welcome. Must be able to use internet, email, and navigate a Yahoo group.
Time Commitment: 2 hours per week (though students may put in more hours as they wish).
Tuition/Fees for this course
SCN members: $192. Non-SCN members: $240.
A graduate of the Iowa Writers' Workshop, Tania Pryputniewicz is the Managing Poetry Editor of The Fertile Source. Her debut poetry collection, November Butterfly is forthcoming from Saddle Road Press, 2014. Recent poems appeared on-line at Chaparral, NonBinary Review, Poetry Flash and Soundings East. Co-founding blogger for Mother, Writer, Mentor, Pryputniewicz teaches writing, blogging and tarot workshops for MWM, A Room of Her Own Foundation, Story Circle Network, and San Diego Writers, Ink. She lives in San Diego with her husband, three children, one blue-eyed Siberian Husky and two tubby housecats. She blogs at Feral Mom, Feral Writer and on her website.
Praise for Tania's Classes
- Tania Pryputniewicz is an exceptionally good teacher. Her knowledge of the subject is amazing, her assignments are interesting and imaginative and fun, she connects with each student personally and responds with genuinely helpful and creative suggestions. She goes far beyond the call of duty in responding to student writing in detail and clearly caring about each student. She is a truly outstanding instructor! I hope to take the earlier classes in this series which I missed, and any other classes Tania teaches. —Ruth T., Hilo HI
- Tania Pryputniewicz is an excellent instructor, well-read and well-versed in both Tarot and poetry. Her assignments were thoughtful and she created a supportive learning environment. —Tina M., Irvine CA
- Tania Pryputniewicz is an excellent teacher and her suggestions are both indepth and practical. —Lynn W., Irving TX
- Tania Pryputniewicz was a very gracious host and made everyone feel welcome where they were at. Her comments were insightful and suggested prompts helped me discover ways to deepen my writing. —Carrie N., Hays KS
- As with other classes I have taken with Tania Pryputniewicz, I enjoyed this one immensely. Her material is well-thought out and engaging. She encourages interaction between the class participants by making everyone feel safe and capable of doing the work. She also provides interesting and thought-provoking feedback that always shows me a new way of looking at my own work. —Lisa R., San Mateo CA
- Tania Pryputniewicz always creates wonderful classes... I love Tania's comments. They are always so rich! I love Tania's tarot classes. I love the materials/readings she sends us and that we can write about something different than the prompts if we need to. —Mary C., Pine CO
- Tania Pryputniewicz's feedback was incredible, insightful and thoughtful. She suggested further exercises that were creative, helpful and incorporated tarot. This was a great class. The mix of tarot with journal writing helped me to open up to new ideas for both. I'm looking forward to the next class. —Lynn W., Irving TX
- I've taken all of Tania Pryputniewicz's Tarot classes (and two of her blogging classes) and her course materials are always stimulating and inspiring. I've learned to think about the Tarot in a different way thanks to Tania's writing exercises. Tania always makes very insightful and helpful comments. It's a great dialogue—we've learned together. I've learned so much about the Tarot, and about myself through this class. I think some people might be put off by the idea of working with the Tarot, but Tania connects the cards to life and we've had such great conversations about life and love and more as we've worked through the major arcana. —Mary C., Pine CO
- Tania Pryputniewicz's knowledge of the tarot and writing and combining the two is incredible. The exercises she sends and the feedback are always right on target and she provides additional exercises for certain topics (as they arise). I still re-read some of her feedback for inspiration. —Lynn W., Irving TX
- I loved the materials Tania Pryputniewicz presented and the responses she gave to what I managed to write...I LOVED the materials and the instructor. I will come back to them for some time and they will continue to inspire and inform my writing. —Marsha P., Bala Cynwyd PA
- I really enjoyed the material we covered and Tania Pryputniewicz's lessons led me to think about the Tarot in a different way than I had been. I love Tania's classes. I've taken her blogging classes and her Tarot classes too. She always presents such great learning materials and great questions to help us move beyond our present thinking. And she is so wonderful in her responses to our work. —Mary C., Pine CO
- Tania Pryputniewicz taught a great class and I learned a lot, including how very time consuming having a blog could be :) —Lynn W., Irving TX
- This course is a fantastic introduction to blogging. I cannot recommend it and the woman who presented it enough. Tania Pryputniewicz was an extraordinary facilitator—the course didn't go on long enough! —Gillian B., Sydney Australia
- It was a great course. Tania Pryputniewicz is creative, supportive, imaginative, fun, and deep. A wonderful instructor. —Molly H., Miami FL
- I loved the topics we covered and the assignments were challenging. I love Tania Pryputniewicz's classes. I took the two blogging classes. I will take other courses from Tania when she offers them. —Mary C., Pine CO
- Tania Pryputniewicz is a great teacher. Her exercises are highly generative and her feedback is wise and thoughtful. This is the second online class I've taken with her. I'll recommend her classes to my writer friends. —Barbara Y., Berkeley CA
- Tania Pryputniewicz gave many resources and inspirations for the three people who were in the course, all pursuing very different types of blogs. There was something for everyone. But most helpful of all was Tania's enthusiastic and helpful feedback, individualized for each of us. I am so glad to have this material in my blogging files. —Mary Ann P., Sugar Land TX
- I knew little about the art of blogging when I began this course. Now, I am confident in my ability to create my own blog. Tania Pryputniewicz's Transformative Blogging course exceeded my expectations by teaching me more than the basics of blogging. It took me on a journey, to a deeper level, revealing inner questions and desires in how I might best share my voice. —Debi B., Wimberley TX
- Materials were well organized and informative; Tania Pryputniewicz responded quickly to all of my questions and postings. Great introduction to blogging. —Fran S., South Charleston WV
- Tania Pryputniewicz's Transformative Blogging is a journey worth taking. It is a well laid out map to the world of blogging, teaching the essential components of the act of blogging, and offering the opportunity to dig deep into ones soul purpose in his endeavor. I recommend it highly. —Debi B., Wimberley TX
- Hadn't had a great prior experience with an online course I took. Tania Pryputniewicz was extremely well organized and the course was a wonderful surprise. It definitely exceeded ALL my expectations. I feel as though I really learning a great deal in a very logical way that also was very supportive. Tania's course is a must-take for anyone who either is considering creating a blog but is fantastically beneficial to those who already have one. The lessons are hierarchical, focused, and really helped me realize my mission in even just starting a blog. I'd highly recommend this class and even thought about taking it again! —Marlene S., Chicago IL
- It was a terrific course and got my blog going. I don't think I would have had the wherewithal to get started without Tania Pryputniewicz's class. —Peggy C., Misoula MT
- I loved Tania Pryputniewicz's class!!!!!!!!!!!! —Juliana L., Canyon TX
- I learned so much from Tania Pryputniewicz and the other women in the class. Everyone was so supportive and thoughtful in their feedback. I feel like my blogging career got a real boost from taking this class. I enjoyed it immensely. Tania's warm and caring teaching helped all of us feel confident in our abilities. Her feedback was supportive yet always included questions to help us find our way to improve our writing. —Lisa R., San Carlos CA
- This class has been a great experience! I've learned a lot and enjoyed getting to know everyone. It was wonderful to read my classmates' work, get feedback from them, and share resources. I got a lot of great ideas for my blog and am motivated to launch it soon. Tania Pryputniewicz is a great teacher! She creates a warm and stimulating environment for learning and offers thoughtful, detailed feedback on participants' work. Her assignments are top-notch. This is the first online class I've ever taken, and it's been 100% positive! I'll study with Tania again and will recommend her classes to my friends. —Barbara Y., Berkeley CA