Class Title: Independent Study Program, Session 1
Instructor: Lynn Goodwin
Class Term: January 12-February 09, 2015
enroll in this class
During this 4-week session, I'll take your writing to the next level. That means something different for everyone. I'll ask questions about your overall project as well as each week's specific submission (500-2000 words). You'll start seeing new possibilities and approach your writing with renewed energy.
Stuck? We can talk about why you can't get started, eliminate the hurdle, and move forward.
Bogged down? Let's figure out what's happening to the characters, the action, and your message.
Ready to find a publisher? Let's work on your cover letter and polish that first chapter until it sparkles. Together we'll take your work-in-progress to the next level.
I can guide you to useful sources for submitting shorter pieces and I can help you learn about the options for self-publishing.
Your Skills: You need to be able to use Microsoft Word and e-mail. Having questions about your work when you start will help.
My Skills: I've been the editor/owner of Writer Advice for fifteen years. I'm also the author of You Want Me to Do WHAT? Journaling for Caregivers (Tate Publishing). I have extensive experience teaching, editing, writing, promoting, and coaching writers, and I love pulling them out of the funk that rises up when a manuscript bogs down.
- Answering your questions
- Opening your eyes
- Helping you find your voice for a
- Flash fiction
- Short story
- Personal essay
- Novel or novella
- Academic writing
Tuition/Fees for this course
SCN members: $200. Non-SCN members: $250.
Lynn Goodwin is a freelance writer, editor, teacher, former caregiver, and the author of You Want Me To Do What? Journaling for Caregivers (Tate Publishing). She is published in Voices of Caregivers; Hip Mama; the Oakland Tribune; the Contra Costa Times; the Danville Weekly; Staying Sane When You're Dieting; Small Press Review; Dramatics Magazine; Career; We Care; Families of Loved Ones Magazine; The Sun and numerous e-zines and blogs. She's taught workshops and written reviews for Story Circle Network. She currently works for StudySync, and Caregiver Village. She facilitates writing workshops and publishes Writer Advice. Visit her website.
Praise for Lynn's Classes
- If you are motivated and serious about your writing, Lynn Goodwin just may be a perfect match for you. She was always available if I had questions, she made great suggestions and her feedback was always given in such a way that I never felt embarrassed about my writing. She understood me and my needs and was very responsive. She returned my writing with her suggestions quickly, which helped me keep on writing. I had an amazing experience with her and will be taking as many classes with her as I can. —Debra R., Media PA
- For someone who is unsure what the future holds in terms of writing capabilities, Lynn Goodwin's Independent Study was an excellent way to begin the exploration. —Mike Q., Walnut Creek CA
- I really felt I grew in my understanding of how to edit and possibly get an article published. Lynn Goodwin's encouragement was amazing and very uplifting. It made me want to continue to strive to become a better writer. —Mary Anne D., Riverhead NY
- Lynn Goodwin inspires you to confront the creative process at the level you need to address. She is warm, encouraging, and specific in her comments to each writer's needs. My hands are cramping from her input to me, and her matra, "Keep writing. Just keep writing," is helping me release all kinds of wonderful things I had no idea would so freely emerge for me. —Linda S., Cedar City UT
- This is the second class I've taken with Lynn Goodwin and again she gave so much of her time to each writer, always responded quickly, and offered encouraging and thoughtful comments that made me want to keep writing. She really makes the online classes work and I will take another class from her any time she offers one. —Margaret S., Austin TX
- This is the best online writing course I have taken. Lynn Goodwin was gentle and generous with her comments. I came away having a strong sense of what my strengths are and where I can take new direction. —Carol Z., St. Louis MO
- Great Class. Terrific feedback. Interesting Group exchanges/writers added to the benefits of Lynn Goodwin's class. —Jane L., Oakland CA
- Absolutely splendid! Lynn Goodwin's response was timely, thorough, and specific. —Carol Z., St. Louis MO
- Lynn Goodwin was great. Prompt, encouraging. —Jane L., Oakland CA
- Lynn Goodwin's comments were extremely encouraging. —Maria A., San Gabriel CA