Class Title: Celebrate Your Journey
Instructor: Dawn Espelage
We are not accepting any more enrollments for Dawn's class; the class has started.
A journal writing workshop designed to enhance sense of self and worth, clarify values, honor life's blessings, and write the future you want.
Participants will explore, re-define and envision their journeys through the use of writing exercises such as Passageways, Treasure Chest, Anchors, Snapshot, Journey Map and Inner Compass. The structure of journaling prompts will guide participants in self-discovery, creativity, acceptance, and moving forward.
Journal writing exercises will be posted at the beginning of each week. Participants and the instructor will post at least once weekly, sharing journal writing responses and/or a discussion of the process. All responses to the shared writing/process discussion will focus on support and encouragement of each individual's journey, finding "teachable moments," and facilitating discussion. The instructor will also be available by e-mail. All participants will receive a free copy of the journal writing workbook Life Lines: Celebrate Your Journey. Teleconference will be utilized at the beginning and end of the class as well.
At the end of the course, successful students will know how to use a variety of journal writing tools to gain insight, recognize and move past "celebration barriers," gain clarity, tap into creativity, affirm self, and appreciate each moment.
- Unit 1: Preparation—Exercises will focus on introductions to each other, journaling and beginnings.
- Unit 2: Baggage—Exercises will focus on past and current obstacles and pathways to move forward.
- Unit 3: Explorations—Exercises will focus on values, validation, and blessings.
- Unit 4: Crossroads—Exercises will focus on celebration, journey maps, and reframing.
Student Skills, Equipment, and Time Required
Internet access, ability to use email and Yahoo Groups. About 90 minutes weekly will be required to complete the journal writing exercises, share and read postings in the Yahoo Group.
Tuition/Fees for this course
SCN members: $128. Non-SCN members: $160.
Dawn Espelage is the author of Life Lines: Celebrate Your Journey. She is a Certified Journal Instructor through The Center of Journal Therapy and has worked in the social work field for 13 years. She has written two journal-writing workbooks, Life Lines: Celebrate Your Journey and Celebrate Your Journey: Monthly Planner and Journal Companion. She has previously taught online for SCN. Visit her website and her blog.
Praise for Dawn's Classes
- I took Dawn Espelage's course hoping to find and use new and better journaling techniques than I have used in the past. I also wanted to convince myself that, yes, I have enough artistic talent to add visuals to my journals and to push myself beyond my comfort level in this area. The course certainly met all my expectations and more besides. —Rachael H., Montoursville PA
- For anyone interested in taking her life writing to new levels this is the course for you. Combining writing and visual exercises addresses our multiple intelligences and stretches our creative talents. Dawn Espelage is a great leader and a great support and very accessible and flexible. I will be using these exercises and the binder we created for a long time to come. —Renee C., Hicksville NY
- Dawn Espelage inspired me to write more, to journal more, to be consistent with my own needs. —Marjorie K., Guysborough NS CANADA
- Dawn Espelage is a compassionate and insightful teacher. Her questions were perceptive, her feedback positive and most encouraging. She is excellent at this work and I hope she will teach more courses for you. —Rachael H., Montoursville PA